May 17, 2020

Should I send my autistic child back to school in June?

In light of everything that is going on in the world right now, we have had lots of questions from parents wanting to know if they should send their autistic child back to school on 1st June. We can’t give exact advice without knowing the child, their school environment and all other contributing factors, but we can give some guidance based on what we have done ourselves in making a decision for our own children. When thinking about whether or not you should send your child back to school, we advise you consider the following;

Firstly, parents would be best speaking to school and seeing what their plan is in relation to returning to school. There are likely to be lots of changes for children when returning to school, some of which families will have no control over, but you can plan as much as is possible for a return (or no return) to school.  


When your child returns to school, will everything be as they know it should be? 

Will a reduced timetable be in operation? Some schools are only accepting pupils back on 2/3 days a week, or half days. Would this be more detrimental to them returning to school part time as opposed to going the full 5 days a week? 

Will they be in their classroom environment, with their known peers and teachers? Schools are having to work very differently in getting children back into school and there could be lots of things that are not their normal, which may create huge problems for them. 

How will they get to school? At the moment, transport services are not running for schools, therefore parents are required to get children to school themselves. Consider, is this physically possible? If you do not drive and need to use public transport, is this a bigger risk for you and your child’s safety? Would this change in routine distress your child or increase anxieties before the school day has even begun?

There is also mental health to consider, would they become distressed by the changes? Would this have a more detrimental impact in the long run, either at home or in the school environment? 

Care for my child

Am I able to use other people to help care for my child while they are not at school?

If there is no reason for your child to need to go to the houses of others, then it should not happen. As per the social distancing measures put in place by the Government, everyone should adhere to a 2-metre social distance where possible. Also, it is possible for your child to go to school in a successful way, if everyone works together. However, for lots of autistic children, close relatives and/or friends play a crucial role in supporting their everyday lives. 

Although the Government have put stringent social distancing measures in place to avoid contact with people outside the family home, for some families, relatives play a key role in supporting autistic children. For example, Grandparents are able to help care for family members, if they are an essential role in caring for an individual. There is guidance here around ‘unpaid carers’, which in effect your child’s Grandparents are for them if they support your child/family on a regular basis.

Your child has needs that are in addition to their age-related peers, which means that they don’t see the world the same as others. This means their needs need to be met by those who know them, in an environment which he can be kept safe, for their own safety and that of others. If you are considering leaving your child with someone they don’t see regularly and therefore would become more distressed whilst with them, then that would be against social distancing measures, as it wouldn’t be in the child’s best interests. 

Children who receive support from a Personal Assistant (PA) via Direct Payments or a Personal Health Budget (PHB) are still able to receive support from these carers at this time. Disability Sheffield have a number of ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ here, as well as lots of information on their website around Coronavirus, individual employers and PA’s. 

Can my child go to their Grandparent’s as opposed to going back to school in June?

In terms of Grandparents, it’s important to weigh up the pro’s and con’s. Do they suffer from any health issuesthat mean that they are in the shielding category, putting them at extreme risk of illness? If so, we would strongly advise against any child going there in order to keep people safe. However, if they are generally fit and well, then although there is no legal guidance upon Grandparents being able to care for their Grandchildren, or those with ASD, what are the pro’s of your child going to Grandparents instead of school? In effect they would come into contact with a lot less people by going to a Grandparents house, and seeing (the same) 2 people each day, as opposed to going to school and coming into contact with possibly numerous children and adults.

As previously mentioned, if your child doesn’t need to go to relatives houses, or is able to go to school in a successful way, then it is achievable. 

Social Distancing

What about social distancing?

Consider if your child is able to understand social distancing? If not, there is every moral argument to allow him to stay at home (or with relatives) as they would pose a bigger risk to themselves, and others, whilst in school around other children/adults who they would not socially distance from. Likewise, social distancing is a very new (and previously unheard of!) concept. It’s never had to happen before, so may not be an easy thing to have to comply with once back at school, when you want to see your friends and teachers!


Is attendance compulsory or will I be fined if my child does not attend school?

Attendance is not compulsory for any child at this stage for numerous reasons, and the DfE have stated that no fines will be issued to parents if they do not send their child to school at this time. However, the DfE says it “strongly encourages” families to take up school places – unless a child or a family member is self-isolating or if the child is particularly vulnerable due to an underlying condition. The full guidance can be found here:

Taking into account everything detailed above, you can make a decision with reasons that back-up your decision, based on the best interests of your child at this unsettling and unusual time. The Government aren’t able to give specific advice in each situation, therefore err on the side of caution and give blanket guidance for the whole population!

Overall, if you review all the aspects of your child’s care and their/your life, you can be confident that you have made an informed decision. 

Read More
April 28, 2020

FREE 1-month Membership!

We are delighted to be able to offer a FREE 1-month membership trial for families at Sparkle Sheffield!

We are giving a free 30-day trial of our membership package to all eligible families. There is no cost involved in this, you will not be required to provide any payment or banking details. ** If you are already a paying member of Sparkle Sheffield, you too will receive an extra months free membership at the end of your yearly subscription! **

During this time of lockdown and the uncertainty it brings, we are hosting enjoyable activities to keep our children busy! These include a weekly timetable with virtual play sessions from around the world;

  • Yoga form Seattle in the USA!
  • A puppet show from California!
  • A Visit to Coral world in St Thomas in the Caribbean! (we are also excited to be delivering autism awareness training to them when the lockdown is over)
  • Visit to a Zoo in Singapore!

We are also having play session from around the UK 

  • A bubble show from London!
  • A plant-based Cookery Demonstration from Sheffield!
  • Drama session from Sheffield!
  • Taekwondo from Sheffield!
  • Lego therapy from Sheffield!
  • Science Entertainer from Hampshire!

          And lots more…!!!

We also have an extra bedtime story session called ‘Sparkle us a bedtime’ #sparkleusabedtime where we have a mixture of our Youth Ambassadors and Celebrities reading our children a bedtime story at 7pm. 

Celebrities include our patron Adrian Lester, Hugh Bonneville (he is reading this weeks story). We also have Meera Syal, Philippa Forester and Jason Manford joining our bedtime reading in the coming weeks! 

W/C 27th April 2020 home activities timetable
Puppet show in action!
Adrian Lester reading “The Problem with Problems”
Hugh Bonneville reading “The Little Island”
Meeting dolphins at Coral World in St Thomas, Caribbean

Simply email us at [email protected], requesting a free membership trial and we can give you all the information you need to sign up with us!

There is no requirement to continue with a purchased membership after the 30-day free trial, however families can sign up to our membership packages from just £20 per family, per year. 

You can find out more about what our membership packages include here…

*** Eligibility Criteria ***

Membership is applicable per household, therefore completion of the application form in full is essential with details of all relevant individuals. Application forms will be screened by Sparkle Sheffield personnel, so please ensure that they are completed with as much detail as possible.A valid email address is required upon the commencement of membership, as communications, notifications and other information will be delivered via the given email address

Evidence of additional needs will be required upon completion of the Sparkle Sheffield membership application form. This must be one of the following pieces of documentation;

  • A pathway letter (such as one from Ryegate, CAMHS or the local hospital) detailing an appointment with neurodisability, the paediatric assessments unit, or other investigating clinic or;
  • A letter detailing your/your child’s diagnosis or;
  • A letter confirming your/ your child’s entitlement to Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

If you have any questions feel free to contact us on [email protected]

Read More
April 20, 2020

FREE Things to do during Lockdown

Click on the different link for free things to do with your children during lockdown

Click Below

Download our Covid Support Pack here:

Read More
April 20, 2020

Sparkle Universal Alert

The Sparkle Universal Alert is a database that will be used in an emergency situation. Or in a situation where the first point of contact is important e.g surgery at a hospital, a home visit, an appointment at a doctors surgery etc

The Sparkle Alert will be available very soon!

For more information on how it works. Please watch this video.

Read More
April 20, 2020


Flybe Arena Sheffield sponsored an Executive VIP Hospitality Suite for Autism people and their families. The Sparkle Suite has a kitchenette and private bathroom and a sensory room with the latest interactive sensory equipment and 12 seats to enjoy live entertainment e.g Sam Smith, Ariana Grande, Disney Dancing On Ice, Take That, x Factor and many many more. Flybe Arena is the only entertainment Arena in Europe that has facility for autistic people.


Watch the video for the rules of the Sparkle VIP Hospitality Suite

Read More
April 20, 2020

Virtual Playgroups

The Coronavirus has changed the way we deliver our playgroups. We currently can not have face to face play sessions. So we decided to do things a little bit differently. Online Sessions! Using the software ZOOM we will be bringing the play sessions right into your living rooms!

We are going to travel and discover the world together as some of the play sessions will be coming from different countries!

  • Ricky Roo the puppeteer – is going to give us a puppet show from California in America
  • Dazzling dan- Is going to give us a Magic Show from Australia
  • Honolulu Zoo – is going to do an animal show and tell all the way from Hawaii
  • Wildlife reserve – Is going to do a show and tell of all the wildlife at their reserve in Singapore
  • Coral world – is going to give us a show and tell for St Thomas in the Caribbean
  • Tracy Hodgeman is going to give us a Yoga lesson from Seattle in America
  • And also Weekly Play sessions in Sheffield too

The Actor Laurie Nelson – is going to deliver drama lessons

Master DarrenThorp – will be giving us Tae kwon do lessons

LeannimalsThe travelling zoo – will showing us what her animals eat and we will be there for feeding time! Able and Worthy – will be introducing “Cooking Time” teaching our children simple dishes to cook at home with you. And thats not all Our patron Adrian Lester and his Celebrities Friends – Will be reading bedtime stories and singing songs to us all at bedtime! #sparkleusabedtime

*Members of our Sparkle Sheffield Membership Scheme will ALWAYS have first refusal

Sparkle’s at Bedtime

Celebrities will be sparkling us a bedtime to raise autism awareness. They can read them our children a bedtime story or sing them a song #sparkleusabedtime

Read More
December 12, 2019

SCHTUM – A Novel by Jem Lester is Released Today

Quisque sit amet tortor nulla, sit amet tempus metus. Vivamus placerat scelerisque sapien vitae aliquet purus malesuada.

Read More