Christmas Gift Ideas
Let’s talk the C word (no not Covid!)
Here are some Christmas gift ideas, it’s not always the easiest time to purchase gifts for our super special children! From the simple ideas that your child loves, to the most obscure thing that you wonder what the fascination is?!
Hopefully you’ll be able to find some ideas on this list, you could even signpost family and friends for ideas.
** Please note, the links to any Amazon/eBay/third party website etc. items are purely for image/idea purposes and not specific item recommendations. A quick Google search and you’ll be able to find an item (and price!) that’s right for you! **
Does Christmas increase anxiety in your child/young person? Try wrapping presents in clear cellophane – this can reduce the anxiety of not knowing what is inside, but still enables the ‘unwrapping’ of presents.
Preparing for the run up to Christmas Day can also help. Using visual timetables, schedules or routines can provide the structure needed, but without loosing the magic of Christmas. Involve your child/young person wherever (and if) possible to give them some of the control back, this will ease anxiety too. So what if they end up having fish fingers and chips for their Christmas dinner if it makes the rest of the day run smoother?! 😂
Set up toys so they are ready to go on Christmas morning!
Untie toys from the box (those fiddly little ties that require a PhD in Nuclear Science to undo!), leave items loose in the box so they’re easier to access, make sure toys already have batteries in them where needed.
Set up wish lists on shopping platforms (Amazon, eBay etc) and use these to send to family/friends in the run up to Christmas – this can reduce any unwanted/un-used presents and instead receive gifts that are really useful and liked.
- Gorilla Gym – swing, climb and play indoors! Attach to your doorframe and create an indoor playground. https://gorilla-gym.com/en/
- Lego! You’re never too old to love Lego. We have fantastic Lego building sessions from the people over at Bricktopia, they also sell Lego and we’re happy to support a small business. https://brick-shack.myshopify.com
- Play Doh – is so useful for such a range of reasons, sensory input, imaginative play, creativity. We especially love these little travel Play-Doh clip on pots for taking out and about. https://www.therange.co.uk/arts-and-crafts/kids-arts-and-craft/kids-activity-kits/modelling-dough/play-doh-clip-ons-ast/
- Air dry clay – very stretchy, similar to playdough but if left out to air it will dry and harden (but stays lightweight, a bit like polystyrene). https://shop.jumpingclay.co.uk
- Marble Run – a visually appealing activity for all ages. You can also get ‘water runs’ (add water instead of marbles to run down the tunnels, ideal for the summer months). https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marble-Runs/b?ie=UTF8&node=364062031
- Bilibo – Bilibo arouses curiosity, engages the imagination and playfully trains basic motor skills and balance. Find unlimited ways to play with Bilibo – using it to rock and spin in, hide under, sit on, tote with and peek through. https://www.moluk.com/bilibo.php
- Tuff Trays – are an excellent way to explore tactile materials, or other creative output, and contain the mess! The things to explore in a Tuff Tray are endless! https://www.amazon.co.uk/tuff-tray/s?k=tuff+tray
- Bath Disco Light – make bathtimes fun and sensory! (Make sure lights are safe to be used underwater before purchasing!). https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bath+disco+light&ref=nb_sb_noss
- Cuddle Ball – A unique shaped soft ball that allows your arms to pass through making it easy to squeeze, hug and cuddle. Ideal for calming stressed and anxious children. Plain coloured ones also available on Amazon. https://www.exploreyoursenses.co.uk/cuddle-ball-large.html
- Infinity Mirror – The infinity illusion of a tunnel of lights! https://www.sensorydirect.com/infinity-mirror
- Dome Mirrors – Convex mirror panels provide distorted, fun and fascinating views of the world! https://www.learningspaceuk.co.uk/sensory-c19/visual-c199/large-16-dome-mirror-panel-acrylic-mirror-convex-490mm-p4471
- Hanging Tent – a place to ‘hang’ out! https://www.wayfair.co.uk/garden/pdp/freeport-park-amya-pod-hanging-chair-fint2866.html?piid=
- Dark Den – a very popular item! A place to escape when it’s all a bit too much, and a sensory heaven (for some!). https://www.wayfair.co.uk/garden/pdp/freeport-park-amya-pod-hanging-chair-fint2866.html?piid=
- Wobbel Board/ Rocker – Develop strength and physical skills as well as your imagination. Rock from side to side, flip and it becomes a bridge, den, seat or stool. Curl up in it, read a book and enjoy the gentle movement. https://consciouscraft.uk/collections/wobbel-board
- Indoor Trampoline – a simple trampette can give sensory input when outdoor trampolining isn’t a possibility for whatever reason. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=indoor+Trampolines&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
- Gravitrax – GraviTrax is an innovative marble run and contruction toy for boys and for girls ages 8 years and up. The GraviTrax interactive track system allows you to design and build your own race tracks and experiment with engineering, gravity, magnetism, and kinetics to propel your ball to the finish. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravensburger-GraviTrax-Starter-English-Version/dp/B07B7HNLMG
- Magnetic Shapes – Hours of fun attracting magnets together – and apart! https://magformers.co.uk
- Exercise Balls – Hours of fun bouncing around! https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/sports-and-leisure/fitness-and-gym-accessories/exercise-balls/c:30624/
- Kinetic Sand – Kinetic Sand looks like regular sand but is available in different colors and can be molded into any desired shape. It mimics the physical properties of wet sand. https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/creativity-music-and-partyware/kinetic-sand/c/SM06010533
- Toniebox – The Toniebox is a digital audio player for children. It is designed for children’s hands. tough, shockproof and lined with durable fabric. … Its handling is foolproof and intuitive: place an audio figure – a Tonie – on the Toniebox and the content starts playing. Available Tonie’s include Peppa Pig, children’s songs, Disney, bedtime stories, lullabies and more. https://tonies.com/en-gb/toniebox/
- Posting Toys – post balls through the tube and watch it fall! https://www.smirthwaite.co.uk/product/twist-n-loop/
- Giant Balance Spinning Top – spin or rock to get sensory input. https://www.tts-group.co.uk/giant-balance-spinning-top/FTOP.html
- Hacky Sacks – Hacky ball sacks are made of knitted cotton and filled with a mixture of foam and ceramsite pellets, light and soft enough to play for children. Not only do these juggling balls exercise children’s muscles, develop their hand-eye coordination, but also practice their reaction capacity 9similar to juggling balls but without the weight! Safer to use if you have a ‘thrower’ in your house! (But please do supervise!) https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=hacky+sack&ref=nb_sb_noss
- FEELIT! Card Game – The feelings game for the whole family. Develop the key life skill of mastering your emotions by exploring the many feelings you have every day. https://www.happyconfident.com/shop/feelit/
Stocking Filler Ideas
- Little flying parachute men (drop from a height and they’ll gently float to the floor)
- Hot Wheels cars
- Snow globes
- Bouncy balls
- Musical instruments
- Cause/effect toys
- Tin can game
- Mr Potato Head
- Basketball hoops
- Sticky velcro bat/ball set